Friday, May 25, 2012

Little House - on Stilts

The Renegade challenge this year is to build a quilted house.  I really like the idea and if you look back to earlier posts you will see my initial experiment.  But as I considered building a little house for the challenge, especially after seeing the incredible creative houses that other members had made, I decided that a square house would just not do.  So this little house is a triangle.  It is hard to tell this from the photo - you will just have to trust me.

I still need to add the beads that will hang from the roof - and some little fishy beads - but I really like it so far.  Making the house stable enough to hold its shape and stand on stilts presented MANY challenges - all of which I really enjoyed when I wasn't grumbling with frustration.

The stilts are chopsticks with strips of fabric wound around and glued.  Actually there is a LOT of glue in this project.  The stilts had to be glued in place and then there is a line of beads along each seam to really help it stay together.  I will include detailed photos of that later.

The roof was the result of a class I took recently.  You take fabric and fuse it to another piece of fabric and then cut out shapes that can be seen from both sides.  So these are tiny squares that are attached with a piece of couched fiber down the middle.  I really like the dimensional aspect it adds to the house.

The stairs were sort of fun. When you have a house on stilts, you need to have stairs to get to the door, right?  They are little triangle blocks of wood that I have in one of my many boxes of weird supplies.  I do believe that if a little tiny person came across the fabric lake in the little tiny boat, then they could actually walk up the little tiny stairs to my little tiny triangle house.  And wouldn't that be just TOO cool?

I do love these creative challenges even though they almost make me crazy - very good for stretching my brain.    Watch for photos of the beaded details soon......   barbara

1 comment: