Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dorothy and COOH

One of the greatest pleasure that I have is sharing my quilts with people - and seeing their reactions to my wild and crazy creations.  And I was able to do this at the Committee of One Hundred summer luncheon at the Red Apple Inn in Heber Springs on June 21.  I get nervous talking in front of groups of people but decided to be Very Brave and I am glad that I did.


The women in the COOH were so friendly and  gracious that I immediately felt at home and comfortable.  They were so receptive during my Show and Tell and had lots of interesting questions about Art Quilts. 

Art Quilting was the focus of my presentation and it is always fun to show new people the types of things that some of today's quilters are doing with fabric - based on the wonderful traditional quilting - but going new directions.

The quilt that is shown here is a quilt that I made a couple of years ago to highlight the use of embellishments on quilts.  If you look closely you will see colored paperclips along the hairline, sequins for the eyes (to make them sparkle), fuzzy balls at the ends of the wild hairdo, and silk cocoons for the earrings.  One of the charming COOH ladies had been looking at my quilts before the luncheon and told me that she was surprised to find that one of my quilts was a portrait OF HER!!  I was tickled to find that it was this quilt!  So I have officially renamed the quilt "Dorothy" after her.  barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment