Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Laney's Quilt

I love art created by children.  It is so precious and lively.  No preconceived notions - no concern about how people will judge the art - just a joyous act of creation.

So when I saw a couple of chalkboard drawings at City Hall - I was just tickled.  The drawing were created by Laney, the daughter of the office manager.  And they were large drawings - very brave.  I asked if I could make them into a quilt - and after a few months I got permission (and photos of the original drawings).  These are the original drawings:
Aren't they just absolutely charming?

Here is a picture of the quilt that I made - - -
And here are a few details shots - - -

I used black fabric as the background - an unusual choice for a child's quilt - but since the original drawing was on a blackboard, it seemed like a good choice.  I used some new variegated thread from Superior to sketch in the ground and the background.  I really like the way it adds both color and structure to the quilt.  I tried to mimic Laney's design very carefully using stripes and spots in the right places.  And I especially enjoyed the joyous hair!
I just hope that Laney enjoys the quilt as much as I enjoyed making it.     barbara



No comments:

Post a Comment