Monday, August 20, 2012

Flying Fish




The large quilt guild that I belong to (Hill 'n Hollow in Mountain Home) is sponsoring a Challenge.  We received two pieces of fabric and will be sharing our creations in September.  The  challenge involves using the two pieces of fabric and the theme Four Seasons. This is my quilt.  It is called "Flying Fish".  The words under the pond are "Can Fly Fishing Catch Flying Fish?"  Obviously NOT relevant to the Four Seasons Theme - but the original theme was Flight of Fantasy and I got this idea the minute that I heard THAT theme.  Oh well.....

But let me tell you about the quilt.  All of the fish are made from the first fabric in the challenge.  Even though they look different, they are just different areas of that gorgeous fabric.  The tree tops are the second fabric.  The rest of the fabric was from my stash.

You know how they always say that mistakes or problems are often the doorway to a greater finished project?  And an opportunity to "learn"?  Well this quilt almost ended up in the dust bin (can you tell I am reading an English novel lately?) several times because it wasn't turning out the way I wanted.  The fish didn't start out as fish at all.  They were supposed to be dirigibles.  But they looked stupid.  So I almost gave up..... but several friends encouraged me to continue.  And this whimsical quilt is the result.

It is HEAVILY beaded and this detail shot shows some of the dazzling bits that I added.  I really enjoyed it and am very pleased with the overall result.        barbara

October 14 - Excellent News!!  We had the Challenge Contest  and I won Honorable Mention!  I am just tickled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment